Monday, October 17, 2011

How do I coupon - I have no idea where to start!!!!!

I get this a LOT. Actually, I was in line, checking out on Saturday evening at Publix - binder in my cart and a stack of little papers in my hand - when a man behind me said, "You're the real deal, huh?"

I answered with an almost shy response, "No, no, not me, I am not like those ladies on TV. I have a large family and I coupon for what we need. I also help others get what they need and send coupons all over the place."

He asked if I follow any of the sites and I told him that I look at some, but I mostly try to do it myself and share what I learn with others.

I do look at some of the previews from time to time, but with such a busy schedule and family, I don't have a ton of time to devote to scouring the sites and reading all the blogs - although I would like to. I hardly have time to keep up my own blogs!!!

One of the first things people say to me is - I don't know how to coupon!! I don't know where to start!

I ask - What are you couponing for? How do you organize your qp's?

Getting (and staying) organized is crucial! If you don't know what you have and how to use it, you won't! There is no right or wrong way to organize - some use envelopes, accordion files, hanging files, recipe- style boxes with dividers and, of course, the binder.
I do keep my binder in my car just in case I'm out and spot a clearance deal, however, I usually sit down and make a plan with my circulars and qp's to make sure I am getting the max for my money!
If you don't have a plan before you go to the store(s) you will spend more than you intended.
Now, you won't always have qp's for everything on your list, but, you can still find deals and other ways to make the budget fit your list. It takes a little time and a lot of patience, but once you're in the habit of getting prepared, it will be a second nature!

Also - don't forget, when checking the weekly circulars, look to the drugstores for the specials, coupled with whatever reward system they offer (ECB's, RR, etc...) this is where you will really save on most of your household and beauty products and even at times some food items. Use rewards in conjunction with coupons and sales and watch your shopping savvy take on a whole new light!!!

For more information or questions/requests, please leave a post or contact me - I'm always happy to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment